Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was founded January 16, 1920, at Howard University in Washington, D.C. by five coeds, affectionately known as “Our Pearls”. Arizona Cleaver Stemons, Pearl Anna Neal, Myrtle Tyler Faithful, Viola Tyler Goings and Fannie Pettie Watts chose not to embrace the tenets of established sororities. These women believed that sorority elitism and socializing overshadowed the real mission for progressive organizations and failed to address fully the societal mores, ills, prejudices, and poverty affecting humanity in general and the black community in particular. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. was chartered to encourage the highest standards of scholarship through scientific, literary, cultural and educational programs; promote service projects on college campuses and in the community; foster sisterhood; and exemplify the ideal of Finer Womanhood.
Since its inception, Zeta has continued its steady climb into the national spotlight with programs designed to demonstrate concern for the human condition both nationally and internationally. The organization is innovative and has chronicled a number of firsts. It was the first National Pan-Hellenic Council organization to centralize its operations in a national board and headquarters, first to charter a chapter in Africa, first to form auxiliary groups, and first to be constitutionally bound to a fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated. The sorority takes pride in its continued participation in transforming communities through volunteer services from members and its auxiliaries. Zeta Phi Beta has chartered hundreds of chapters worldwide and has a membership of 100,000+.